Aussie Xmas – Sydney

Roughly 35 Hours Later…

…we arrived in Sydney, only 7 hours later than intended and without Giulian’s suitcase. Rough, I know. I won’t go into detail about how much our travel plans went wrong, mostly because I will get angry, but let’s just say we missed a couple flights for various reasons and tears were shed. We did finally make it to Sydney. We were greeted at the gate by Giulian’s parents and after collecting my one bag took a taxi to the hotel. Giulian and I were both exhausted and pretty grimy. Luckily, showers work miracles.

Our room in the Tank Stream Hotel, located in Sydney’s CBD within walking distance of the harbour, was gorgeous. But with barely a three-day-long visit, we didn’t spend much time in it. We had a lot of ground to cover.

Also – disclaimer: I’m writing this post about three weeks late. Some of the details are a bit foggy. Bear with me.

After a quick shower and change into clothes suitable for summer (!!!) weather, we set off. First food stop was at a counter in a multi-story mall, for macarons of course. Mine was coconut.


We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening wandering around the CBD and ended up at a little Italian place for dinner. I was exhausted.

Day Two began at about 6:30am, thank you jetlag. Our hotel room had a Nespresso machine in it so I couldn’t help myself.

I would go on to consume many many many coffees in the following two weeks. Here is the coffee I drank later that morning before Sunday mass (??) in St. Mary’s Cathedral.


For lunch we stopped by the food courts in Westfield Sydney and picked up some Gözleme, pictured below. I would describe them as the Turkish version of quesadillas. Mine was filled with feta cheese, spinach, and beef. Very yum. Special shoutout to the dancing bearded bakers, as they’re advertised, making Knafeh, Jerusalem Street Food. Never have I seen so many beautiful beards in one space. Anyway, here’s the gözleme.


We spend the rest of the day traipsing around the Harbour, because apparently that’s one of the only good things Sydney has to offer. It was a lil chilly but still quite nice.

Here’s a thing we saw:


Ooh it’s the Sydney Opera House! I’m pretty sure I flashed all the people sitting in the restaurant inside it when we walked by. It was windy and my shirt was excited. I’m not even sorry.

That night for dinner Giulian’s parents brought us to this cute but rather classy restaurant called The Little Snail Bar and Restaurant. It was quite delicious and definitely the most posh food I have eaten in a very very long time. Here are some highlights.


Pictured above is my first of what would be three courses. It’s a Salmon Roulade filled with herb cheese mousseline, served with potato nest and passion fruit dressing. It was amazing, light and fresh tasting and well nothing can go wrong if you stuff it with cheese. Underneath are Giulian’s snails. I ate one. It tasted like garlic and butter, not at all bad, and I was proud of me for trying it.

For my main I had a fabulous Vegetarian Risotto with sweet peas, semi dried tomatoes, olives, spinach and Grana Padano cheese. It’s supposed to have mushrooms too, but I don’t like them so I asked them to take them out. Giulian had a Kangaroo Fillet, of which I tried a bite and did not find totally disgusting. It was only day two, and my appetite was having a hard time keeping up with all the amazing food around me. I wish I could have taken home risotto leftovers, but alas we were set to leave the next day. I was left with only a little room for dessert, but of course it was incredible, so I did my best. Here’s their Kahlua Infused Chocolate Mousse.


Yes. ‘Twas to die for. If you’re in the area and have the dough, I would definitely recommend this place. We got a deal through Groupon that really made it worth the $$$ (which wasn’t mine, and I am so overwhelmed and grateful for the generosity G’s family showed me throughout this trip, truly amazing). Simply wonderful.

Though our flight to Melbourne was scheduled for the afternoon of Day Three, I still managed to complete a few Australian “firsts” before leaving. After breakfast and, of course, coffee, we walked back down to the harbour and all the way across the Sydney Harbour Bridge. And then back across the bridge. Such beautiful views of the harbour!

With lunch came my very first meat pie! Simple, yet effective, I would say.


This outing, like many to follow, ended with sweets. Between Giulian and his dad not one cake shop or patisserie went unnoticed. These delightful little treats were stunning to say the least. Afterwards, we headed back to the hotel, collected our luggage, and were off! On to our real destination of the holiday, Giulian’s hometown, Melbourne.


Well, there’s Sydney more or less covered, food highlights edition. Cheers!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s